Legal West Virginia Betting Sites
The Mountaineer State currently offers three legal online sportsbooks:
- BetMGM - Owned by MGM Resorts International, BetMGM launched in WV in January 2020.
- DraftKings - Having already experienced plenty of betting success in other states, DraftKings has also become a key player in West Virginia’s market.
- FanDuel - One of the first bookmakers to launch in WV, FanDuel has taken advantage of its first-mover status.
Opened in December 2018, BetLucky was the first legal online sportsbook to launch in West Virginia. However, it quickly ceased retail sports gambling operations in March 2019.
WV casinos with sports betting
West Virginia features five casinos and racinos—each of which offers a sportsbook. Here are the available land-based betting options:
- Hollywood Casino in Charles Town
- Mardi Gras Casino in Cross Lanes
- Mountaineer Casino in New Cumberland
- The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs
- Wheeling Island in Wheeling Island
Sports betting partnerships in WV
Every West Virginia betting site must partner with one of the state’s land-based casinos. Here is each active internet bookmaker and its associated partner:
- The Greenbrier - FanDuel
- Hollywood Casino - BetMGM & DraftKings
Will any more sports gambling partnerships form?
Mountaineer Casino currently holds a partnership with European bookmaking giant William Hill. The latter will probably launch a WV betting site in the future, but it hasn’t done so yet.
Each of the five land-based casinos can have up to three online partners, which means up to 15 West Virginia betting sites.
However, the Mountaineer State only features around 1.8 million residents. It’s unlikely to support anywhere near 15 internet sportsbooks.
West Virginia betting apps
All regulated West Virginia online sportsbooks feature mobile apps. These apps let you legally place bets from anywhere within the state.
Every WV bookmaker tries to make downloading their apps as simple as possible. If you need any assistance, though, the following information can help.
How to download WV betting apps
The process for downloading West Virginia sports betting apps differs slightly based on whether you’re using an iOS or Android device.
Steps for obtaining an iOS app:
- Visit the App Store.
- Search for the relevant betting site.
- Select the download option.
Steps for obtaining an Android app:
- Look for the Android icon on the bookmaker’s homepage.
- Follow the instructions on the download page.
- Download the app directly from the page.
The key difference is where you obtain the apps. Android betting apps are available directly through WV online bookmakers, while iOS apps are only available in the App Store.
West Virginia bookmakers typically feature a “sign up” or “register” prompt on the homepage. You select the relevant option to start the registration process.
From here, you must fill out all the required fields on the registration form. These forms request basic information, such as your name, email address, phone number, and mailing address.
They also require you to enter the last four digits of your Social Security number. By law, bookmakers must acquire this information to ensure that you’re not on a gambling self-exclusion list.
You should also pay special attention to the bonus code field. You must enter the appropriate bonus code to qualify for any available welcome bonuses.
Upon submitting the registration form and agreeing to terms and conditions, you should receive instant approval. If not, then you need to check if any fields are filled out incorrectly.
Available bets at WV betting sites
WV online bookmakers ensure that you’ll enjoy plenty of bet types to choose from. They also feature live betting, which isn’t available through land-based sportsbooks.
Therefore, you can place every type of wager that’s available in brick-and-mortar locations—and more:
- Point spread
- Live betting
- Prop bet
Live wagering is particularly interesting because it allows you to place bets as games are happening. You can make dozens of wagers on a single contest with live betting.
Proposition (“prop”) wagers are also popular. They revolve around unique propositions (e.g., which player will lead all scorers) that aren’t tied to the final game score.
What can you bet on in West Virginia?
West Virginia boasts a large number of markets that gamblers can wager on. Available sports include:
- Australian rules football
- Auto racing (NASCAR & Formula 1)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA & college)
- Football (NFL & college)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Mixed martial arts (UFC)
- Table tennis
West Virginia doesn’t place any restrictions on college sports betting, either. Therefore, residents and visitors can freely gamble on West Virginia University and Marshall.
Popular teams to bet on in WV
West Virginia doesn’t feature a major professional sports franchise. However, it is located near some cities with pro sports teams.
Therefore, many residents bet on pro franchises from nearby cities. People from bordering states can also cross into West Virginia to legally wager on their local teams.
The Mountaineer State does feature two universities with primetime college sports teams—Marshall and West Virginia University.
Here are popular teams that WV natives enjoy wagering on:
- West Virginia University football & basketball
- Marshall University football & basketball
- Baltimore Ravens (NFL) & Orioles (MLB)
- Cincinnati Bengals (NFL)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
- Philadelphia Eagles (NFL), 76ers (NBA) & Flyers (NHL)
- Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL), Pirates (MLB) & Penguins (NHL)
- Washington D.C. Nationals (MLB), Football Team (NFL), Capitals (NHL) & Wizards (NBA)
Depositing at WV betting sites
You can deposit at West Virginia online sportsbooks through several methods. Here are the primary ways to fund a WV betting account:
- 7-Eleven (PayNearMe): You can purchase a deposit voucher at your local 7-Eleven.
- Cash at the cage: Visit a land-based WV casino and deposit your online funds in person.
- Credit & debit card: Instantly fund your account using a Visa- or Mastercard-branded card.
- E-check (ACH): This option lets you send money from your bank account to a betting site.
- E-wallet: Use an e-wallet, such as Skrill or PayPal, to make a deposit.
- Play+ card: Betting sites feature branded Play+ cards that work just like prepaid cards.
You can also use most of these options to withdraw money. In some cases, you must use the same option that you deposit with to cash out (e.g., e-wallet).
Paper check is also available as a withdrawal method. However, it’s the slowest cashout option and takes 10-14 days to arrive.
West Virginia sports betting bonuses
The WV betting market spreads various types of bonuses. Here are the main offers that you’ll find at West Virginia online sportsbooks:
- No-deposit bonus: You receive a bonus just by registering for an account.
- Deposit bonus: This offer matches a percentage (e.g., 100%) of your deposit up to a specified amount.
- Free bet (i.e., risk-free bet): If you lose your first bet, you have a chance to win back the losses.
- Loyalty rewards: You collect rewards based on your overall betting volume.
History of sports betting in West Virginia
A federal ban on sports betting (PASPA) existed until May 2018. Nevertheless, the WV Legislature took preemptive action by passing the West Virginia Lottery Sports Wagering (SB 415).
This bill paved the way for legal online and land-based sports gambling when/if PASPA fell. Sure enough, the Supreme Court struck down the federal ban in 2018, thus putting SB 415 into play.
Opening on August 30, Hollywood Casino’s sportsbook accepted the first legal wager in West Virginia history. The now-defunct BetLucky took the first internet bet in December 2018.
West Virginia was temporarily without an online sportsbook after BetLucky shut down in March 2019. However, FanDuel and DraftKings filled this void after going live in August 2019.
WV Online Sports Betting FAQ
Is sports betting legal in West Virginia?
Yes. The West Virginia Lottery Sports Wagering (SB 415) makes sports gambling legal in the state. SB 415 officially went into effect in May 2018 after the Supreme Court struck down PASPA.
How old must I be to bet on sports in West Virginia?
You must be 21 years of age or older to gamble on sports in the Mountaineer State.
Is DraftKings legal in West Virginia?
Yes. DraftKings is fully licensed and legal in WV. Along with FanDuel, it’s one of the most popular bookmakers in West Virginia.
Are WV betting sites safe?
The West Virginia State Lottery oversees and regulates the WV online betting industry. It takes great steps to ensure that only quality companies operate in this market.
The State Lottery heavily vets applicants before offering approval. It also lays forth standards and requirements that each bookmaker must uphold to maintain its licensing agreement.
Do I have to live in West Virginia to bet on sports?
No. You only need to be within West Virginia’s borders to legally place wagers.
Every WV online sportsbook uses geolocation to determine your location. As long as the software notes that you’re in the Mountaineer State, you’ll be able to place bets.
Do I have to pay taxes on WV sports betting winnings?
Outside of West Virginia State Lottery prizes, the Mountaineer State doesn’t tax any form of gambling winnings.
However, the federal government does require you to cover taxes on annual betting profits. That said, you only need to include them on a federal tax return.
Can I bet on esports in West Virginia?
Yes. West Virginia updated its betting policies to include esports in 2020. Bookmakers can now offer lines on esports contests as long as all participants are over the age of 18.